Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Art pr0n...

You know what always cheers me up? Aside from a hot piss of pee from Fjeurg Van Der Ploeg's Swedish Bockery, beautiful surrealist paintings from Jacek Yerka always do the trick. I don't know what it is about his art, but everytime I look at it, it takes me away to another world where everything is strange & alien, but somehow you still feel completely at home. Kind of like whenever I listen to Owl City. You cannot look at a Yerka painting without being forever changed.

One of my favorites of his is this one, 'Back to Nature'. I dont know what it is about this painting, its downright wierd, but I love it. Most of his works have water as a prominent theme, and since I'm terrified of water, maybe its a morbid fascination or something. Behold~


Another one I like is this one(I dont know the name). I love trains, and it also evokes a sense of home, but with a faint sense of urgency. You've got your furniture, your cozy little home set up, but you're inside a train station, so you never know when you won't have a home anymore. The trains don't come very often, but when they do, they give little notice and you always have to scramble to move your stuff in time. It makes you feel a sense of constant vigilance, and having to sleep with one eye open. I know this feeling well.


However, I think my absolute favorite of his is 'Base'. This painting makes my heart physically hurt. It hearkens back to a time in my life when I didn't have a stationary 'base', AKA a home. Well, I did, but I was always on the run. It was back in 2000, when I met the guy I would fall insanely in love with for the next 10 years. We spent 3 months on the road, just driving around, doing whatever we wanted, and sleeping in the car. It was the best and worst time of my life. During this time we fell completely in love with each other, and its a love that's persisted to this day, despite the fact that we can't be together. Anywhere I was with him was home, even if we were sleeping on the grass in a city park. I could have slept comfortably on cold, wet rocks as long as he was holding my hand as my eyes closed. The 2 beds huddled together on the vast expanse of the tire-scarred ground perfectly signifies this, and the raindrops are perfect too since this time took place during a rainy spring. It's like Yerka was in the backseat the whole time, and captured everything between us into one single painting. I can't look at this picture without feeling overwhelmingly emotional. Its almost too much to bear, but its also strangely comforting.


A similar one that also evokes a lot of emotion in me is 'Susan'. You could say that this one represents me now- a single bed out in the twilight... *cries*


Another one I love is "Illegal Light Making". Dunno why, but this painting just makes me feel happy & homey when I see it.


The first painting of his that I obsessed over was this one, 'The Oligocene Gardens'. Like I said earlier, a lot of his work features water, and spigots & spouts everywhere, and a lot of algae. I used to stare at this painting, imagining the vast world of creatures that must be lurking under the yellow algae cover, alternately horrified & fascinated at the same time.



Thats all for now. Enough art spam!

No comments:

Post a Comment