Monday, January 11, 2010

Weird Japanese drinks...

So last summer I went to Soda Pop's with my old boyfriend, and picked up a bottle of bizarre Japanese soda. It's called Ramune, and the bottle is somewhat reminiscent of a blown glass sex toy. Alas, it is a bit too large to actually be USED for this purpose.

It's been sitting in my fridge since July, cause honestly I haven't had the guts to drink it yet. Lets face it- Asians are famous for consuming the grossest shit on the planet. Kombucha, Balut, Kopi Luwak, Natto, Nakji, monkey brains, and Baby Mouse Wine, just to name a few horrifying delicacies. Feel free to Google any of those if you ever need help throwing up. I'm convinced that, in the East, for something to be deemed a 'delicacy' it has to fit into one or more of the following categories:

*rotten
*poisonous
*bugs
*eyeballs
*brains
*animal genitalia
*live animals
*things crapped out by live animals
*things that should never, ever be eaten by any human being under any circumstances

I must warn potential Googlers that many Asian delicacies often involve horrific animal cruelty, so if you're an animal lover like me you might be better off remaining ignorant on how monkey brains & Nakji are traditionally served. I had tears in my eyes after reading about Baby Mouse Wine & Balut. It really makes me wonder- what the @#$% is wrong with the people that eat this stuff. What kind of heartless monster can cook an animal alive, blindly disregarding their suffering, without hating themselves? It's sickening. Yes, some Asians do this. Some animals are cooked & even eaten while still alive, all because some Chinese guy thinks the meat tastes better when cooked this way, or that it'll give him a stronger boner.

But anyway, I digress. With the Asian track record for gross edibles, quite naturally I was wary of this soda. I was afraid it might have nightingale poop, ground up spiders, or cat amniotic fluid in it. But seeing as the ingredients are carbonated water, HFCS, sugar, citric acid, and flavor(though what this 'flavor' consists of is a mystery. It could be anything from lemon juice to human urine), I figured it was probably pretty safe & decided to conquer it once & for all.


The way it's sealed is quite interesting- the bottle is stoppered with a marble, and a plastic opener is attached to the top. To open it, you separate the opener from the packaging, center it on the marble, and push like hell till the marble drops into the bottle.



See the marble?

Pretty neat, I must say. Though actually DRINKING from this bottle was less than efficient. Not only did it feel like I was drinking from a penis(lol), the way the opening is designed, the soda splashes everywhere if you're not careful. I had to put my lips on it & just kind of pour it in my mouth. And I'm sure that somewhere, someone is getting off on that visual. Pervert.

Now, onto the soda itself. It tastes like slightly sweetened carbonated water. I liken it to very watered down Big Red(if you've never tried Big Red soda, then you're missing out). Rather unremarkable, honestly. I expected a bit more of a tongue-punching, judging from the colorful bottle. But overall- palatable, and not that bad.

YAAAY I did it! I drank the bizarre Japanese soda & lived to blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment