Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dweeby $3 solution to the missing Touch Pro 2 flash!

As all TP2 users know, the omission of the beloved camera flash from the phone has been a thorn in many a side, including my own. The flash on the previous models could be modified via special apps to function as a flashlight, which was just unbelievably convenient. The flashes on the Mogul & TP1 have saved me from countless broken necks while fumbling in the dark. I got quite used to having a flashlight at my fingertips 24/7, so I was understandably confused, frightened, and angry(lol) when I found that the TP2 would have no flash.

Butt- I have found a readily available, extremely cheap remedy! Readers, if you guys don't have a Hastings where you live, A. I pity you cause Hastings is awesome. B. If you don't know what Hastings is, it's a huge Borders-esque store that sells new & used movies & books, and also offers magazines, coffee, free wi-fi, and random doodads. All kinds of neato stuff can be found there.

Behold! The Lümpod! A tiny, stick-on LED flashlight for cell phones. Yes, I bought 2 cause I have 2 phone cases :P






PROS:

*Incredibly Cheap. $2.99 at Hastings(you can order it at Hastings.com & several other websites if you don't have any stores in your area).
*Very bright dual LEDs. Lights a dark room right up.
*The LEDs have a 30,000 hour life span. That means you could keep them lit for 3 & a half years before they burn out, so basically this device will last forever with normal usage
*4 colors- black, white, silver & pink.
*Very strong 3M adhesive- will NOT fall off.
*Replaceable batteries. Not a "throwaway" product.
*Does not use your phone's battery(major plus, since using the camera flash used to eat battery like no one's business).
*Makes you look even nerdier :)

CONs:

*Adds slight bulk. If you already think the TP2 is too big(I don't, it could be bigger, IMO), you may wanna skip this.
*You have to hold the button to keep the light on(but that's kinda good cause it won't get accidentally turned on in a purse or pocket)
*Big con- Makes your phone kinda wobbly if you lay it on it's back.
*Feels kinda wonky when texting.
*Makes you look even nerdier :(

Anyway, just thought I'd share this in case nobody has seen these. I know a lot of you TP2 users are really wishing for your flashlights back & this is as close as we're gonna get for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Oh snap! I need one of these. BTW you don't know me, but I found a comment of yours on another blog, then I wandered here...and have come to the conclusion you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete